Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Just Rock Me Mama

Today was just one of those days. Rush to get to all three of us dressed and to Bible study on time...then home for lunch and naps (which was no nap, by the way)...back off for a play date at the zoo...battling 5 o'clock traffic to get to the grocery store and then home in time to fix dinner. Not to mention all of the little things that take 3 times longer to do with a toddler like brushing teeth, going to the potty, changing clothes. Then to top it all off, Will wasn't going to be home until after 9 which means I was on my own for the evening routine of baths and bedtime.

I was frazzled to say the least. The house was falling down around me with dirty dishes piled up in the sink, dirty diapers overflowing the trash can, piles and piles of dirty laundry that needed to be washed, folded, and put away, and every possible toy my children own was scattered across the house. I was hoping for a good hour between putting the girls to bed and Will coming home so I could put a dent in the housework.

After hurrying Anna Cate with her bedtime routine, I was rocking Caroline in her room, mentally creating a list of chores to accomplish. I was totally drained- physically, mentally, and emotionally and feeling quite overwhelmed and consumed by the house and my responsibility.

As I shut the door to Caroline's room, I heard a tiny voice across the hall calling out from the dark. "Rock me mama, just rock me a minute." My world stopped as the tears welled up in my eyes and I felt a lump in my throat. In my rush to accomplish all on my to-do list, I had hurried her to bed, making her feel like just another item on that list. I had failed to do the most important thing I'm called to do each day. I opened her door and saw that sweet girl sitting up in her bed. "Rock me in daddy's chair mama."

I took her to the den and just held her in the dark. It only took a few minutes before her body was limp and her breathing slowed and I could tell she was already in dreamland, but I continued to rock her. We sat there in the dark, her little body heavy on my chest and I savored every precious moment. There will come a day when she is too big or too busy to sit in the quiet and be comforted by my presence. But not tonight. Tonight we sat there, she and I, and the longer we rocked, the longer everything else seemed so unimportant.

Thank you Lord for the gentle reminder of what is the most valuable use of my time and work of my hands. May I never squander the time I have to enjoy my "treasure" by making all of the other "stuff" so important and making light of the honor to be called mother.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34

DSC_0028DSC_0020

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that sweet story. AC looks like you in those pictures. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you mc! enjoyed the zoo with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you MC!!! I now have tears rolling down my face. I needed that reminder today. I tell myself everyday that somedays the days seem so long, but I know that the years are so short. I love being a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to remember that all day every day. It is and can be so hard, but you are right, it is an honor to be a mother, and those years will pass too quickly!

    ReplyDelete