Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday Mornings

DSC_0197

Several months ago I was having trouble adjusting to life with two little ones and the loneliness that sometimes comes with being a stay-at-home mom. I asked the Lord for a group of girls, specifically, for Bible study I could be a part of and boy, did He deliver. (I wonder how often He has gifts to give us that we never receive, only because we do not ask.) But I digress...

Not only did He plop me smack dab in the middle of an awesome group of ladies, but He creatively brought old friends back into my life from all the different stages of my youth together in one group. And the amazing thing is, I wasn't really in close contact with any of them and wasn't the one who brought us all together. Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we? And SURPRISE! I have photos to share too. :)

The friend that goes back the furthest is Lil. Oh sweet Lil! I guess you could say she reprents my "preschool years." We were two peas in a pod in 3k & 4K and took dance class together, but lost touch when my family moved away when I was 5.
sc0236669b


Then moving along to my elementary school days would be Carrie. (girl, the only picture I could find at my house of the two of us was from Brownies in which you were sporting the ever so stylish "poodle perm" so please don't shoot me for posting this one instead!) Carrie and I were neighbors and played together almost every afternoon after school. She was like our fourth sister until her family moved to a different house right before middle school.
sc02367f29

We'll just skip right on past middle school onto high school when I met Ashley. She was an amazing example to me of what a personal relationship with the Lord looked like in real life and we had so much fun being silly and enjoying our senior year together "making memories!" This picture was of Halloween our Senior year when we dressed up like 80's prom queens. All I can say is Oh Wow. Blue eye shadow and pouffy hair = HOT.
sc0237cd6a

Its funny how life comes full circle and now here we are, all friends together again. We each have daughters of our own and it is so special to watch our girls play together. We meet on Tuesday mornings at Carrie's house, along with several other sweet new friends whose friendships I have also come to cherish.

We are reading the book, Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson, and if you are a mother and have never read this book, do not walk... RUN to your nearest bookstore to pick it up. It has greatly impacted the way I choose to view my calling as a mother. As Lil put it one morning, we are divinely appointed. Here is the part of the book that got us interested in reading it. Clarkson writes:

The fundamental mission of motherhood now is the same as it always was; to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and his purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully.

For a couple of hours each week, we come together to share the joys and trials of motherhood and I relish in the fellowship. Not only is it encouraging to have one another for support, but our "girl time" renews my spirit and I look forward to getting together each week.

If you are a mother, and especially if you are at home with your children, do not underestimate the importance of your own friendships. Find a time and invite several other moms you know. They'll have friends who have friends, and before you know it, you'll have a fun group to get together with. You will be surprised at the rewards it will bring!

2 comments:

  1. so fun Mary Catherine! Thank you for posting and taking us down memory lane. I hope that our girls will have the same friendship one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you guys go to preschool? I was in kindergarten with alot of those kids! lol.

    ReplyDelete